Presented by Salomon and organized by Ourea Events, the Skyline Scotland is the United Kindom’s biggest weekend of trail and sky running, offering a combination of races ranging between 5 and 52 kilometers through the Scottish Highlands. Open to all ages and abilities, the Skyline Scotland will take place on September 19th and 20th, 2020 in Kinlochleven.
From iconic skyruns to accessible trail races, this year’s schedule of the Skyline Scotland will feature:
- Glen Coe Skyline, an extremely challenging 52-kilometer sky race with more than 4,750 meters of total elevation climb
- Ben Nevis Ultra, a tough and diverse 52-kilometer sky race to the Ben Nevis summit
- Ring of Steall Skyrace, an extremely technical 29-kilometer sky race around the Mamores that’s part of the Golden Trail National Series
- Three Mealls Trail, an 18-kilometer trail around three Mealls
- Loch Eilde Mor Trail, a 10-kilometer trail to the Loch Eilde Mor
- Grey Mare’s Trail, a very accessible 5-kilometer trail around the Grey Mare’s waterfall
- Mamores Vertical Kilometer, a vertical kilometer sprint to the Na Gruagaichean
On top of these trails and sky races, a fun 1,5-kilometer trail aimed at kids between the ages of 6 and 12 will also be organized so that the youngers one can join the festivities!
Moreover, the event village, open all weekend long, will feature live music, food stands, workshops and exhibitor stands to ensure an entertaining weekend for all participants and spectators.
Come up to Kinlochleven on September 19th and 20th to sample some of the stunning Scottish Highlands scenery on offer during the 2020 edition of the Skyline Scotland!
The Glen Coe Skyline is the most demanding race of the Skyline Scotland. After starting from Kinlochleven, the race heads south-east on a loop going through the Altnafeadh settlement before starting the climb to Stob Dearg by the Curved Ridge. The race continues onto the multiple summits of Buachaille Etive Mor before heading back down for a moment to climb the Stob Coire Sgreamhach and the Stob Coire nan Lochan. The track will then head north past Glen Coe and continue onto the Aonach Eagach Ridge and west towards the Meall Dearg before heading back to the finish in Kinlochleven.
The Ben Nevis Ultra heads north-west upon exiting Kinlochleven to warm up with a climb to the Binnein Mor while enjoying spectacular views of the Loch Eilde Mor below. After tracking north past the Binnein Mor, the race heads back down on the other side to prepare for a spectacular climb to the Càrn Mòr Dearg summit before continuing onto the Ben Nevis summit through the breathtaking Càrn Mòr Dearg ridge. The route will then descend into the town of Glen Nevis to follow the River Nevis to the south, past a couple of waterfalls and up the An Gearanach ridge onto the Stob Coire a’ Chairn before returning to Kinlochleven through Am Bodach.
Featuring common routes with the Ben Nevis Ultra, the Ring of Steall Skyrace exits Kinlochleven through the north-west and proceeds to climb up the Stob Coire na h-Eirghe and the Sgor an Iubhair before traversing the Devil’s Ridge to Sgurr a’ Mhaim. The track will then head down to the Glen Nevis Lower Falls and join paths with the Ben Nevis Ultra back up the An Gearanach ridge and to Kinlochleven.
The three trails will start from Kinlochleven just like the skyraces. The Three Mealls and the Loch Eilde Mor trails will complete a loop to the west of Kinlochleven. The Three Mealls will circle the Mealls of na Cruaidhe and na Duibhe before passing by the Loch Eilde Mor and going around the Meall an Doire Dharaich back to Kinlochlevel. The Loch Eilde Mor will use a more direct route from Kinlochleven to the Loch Eilde Mor, looping around the Meall an Doire Dharaich and returning to Kinlochleven using the same track the Three Mealls Trail.
The Grey Mare’s Trail will be do a short loop around the Grey Mare’s waterfall without getting too far away from Kinlochleven.
The Mamores Vertical Kilometer is a short 5 kilometer sprint up to the Na Gruagaichean summit of the Mamores.
- T shirt
- Children's area
Friday September 18th, 2020:
- 17h30 – 21h30: Registrations for the Ring of Steall Skyrace
Saturday September 19th, 2020:
- 7h – 8h30: Registrations for the Ring of Steall Skyrace
- 8h45: Athlete presentations
- 9h – 10h: Start of the Ring of Steall Skyrace in four waves every 15 min
- 10h05: Start of the Kids’ Fun Trail
- 10h30: Start of the Grey Mare’s Trail
- 11h30 – 14h: Start of the Mamores VK
- 16h: Award ceremony for the Ring of Steall Skyrace and Mamores VK
- 17h – 20h: Registrations for the Glen Coe Skyline and Ben Nevis Ultra
- 19h: Film night at Kinlochleven High School
Sunday September 20th, 2020:
- 7h30: Start of the Glen Coe Skyline
- 8h: Start of the Ben Nevis Ultra
- 9h30: Start of the Three Mealls Trail
- 10h30: Start of the Loch Eilde Mor Trail
- 12h: Price ceremony for the Three Meals and Loch Eilde Mor Trails
- 12h45: Start of the Kids’ Fun Trail
- 16h30: Award ceremony for the Glen Coe Skyline and Ben Nevis Ultra